Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Spring in Hell

I've been just riding along quite a bit these last few days (6-days straight now) enjoying some time off from school (spring break) and the really awesome sunny days we've been having. The little purple flowers growing in the rocky waste at Hellsgate State Park are the finale of signs telling me that Spring is officially here (oh yeah, the calendar said it was also). However, with spring comes allergies, which means while feeling really happy it's spring, I also feel lethargic and tired all the time. I've lived my entire life without allergies, but when I moved into the valley of Hell 6-years ago I suddenly developed allergies. I'm not sure if it is the stinky-assed pulp mill here or the superior weed population of this hole that contributes to my allergies the most. When I leave the valley I feel better within a day or so, which tells me that the name Hellsgate is an appropriate name for this place...maybe the name, Purgatory, would be more appropriate...then again maybe not since there is an entire culture here built around Hell - for example this weekend is the annual Devil's Slide MTB race at Hellsgate State Park...

Just beyond Hell I found some Heaven today on a ride with the infamous SeanMan who has a real knack for taking off work the best, sunny days of the week. I've heard that others at his work (can you call working at a famous bike shop work?) are a bit jealous of his consistent ability to take the perfect days off...wait until they find out we were in shorts today. I rode my Fisher Rig SingleSpeed (with 32x18 gearing) and the SeanMan was on his Supercal. Needless to say whenever we get together its all about hills - today was no different with some choice, steep hills. It seems that riding on flat ground it rather (yawn) boring to us. After 42 miles we had in 4600 feet of verticle climbing which to say the least felt great. Most of the hills we chose were rather long and steep it seems - how steep? Check out my coasting max speed on a twisty downhill (yes that is from my SS with knobby tires and on the dirt - thrilling isn't it?)...

No comments: