Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Slowing Down

There's way too much beauty to see out there and at times I have to slow down my internal need for speed mechanism so that the small, important things in this world don't pass by me unnoticed (like driving the steering wheel I found mysteriously on a hillside - now this is living life!).
From 20080706


Sometimes it takes someone to slow you down a bit...to make you realize life is about more than one's selfish desires to ride a bike constantly (that's me most of the time - a biking obsessive-compulsive-obsessive). When I do slow down I find I really enjoy many other things in life and that getting from one place to another with ultra-biking speed is not necessarily always fun (needed for stress relief, yes).
From 20080706


So this last week I've backed off the constant 80+mile rides to much slower 40-mile or less rides with some always-interesting exploration adventure along the way. I was even named Trail-Boss on a ride recently where I guided two very happy horse-crazed people on some ultra-fun trails I happen to know of. Donna (my ultimate soul-mate and forever companion) and Niki (a young, fun-loving person borrowed from a Michgan family, thanks Pat and Patti) both had a fun day as did I. Curiously though the horses could not seem to keep up with my Ellsworth super-ultra-endurance bike (the only choice of knowing trail bosses everywhere).

From 20080706


We even saw a bear this day not to mention a stubborn rattle snake that blocked the trail for the girls. I never saw it and may have simply rode over it unknowingly...wouldn't be the first time.


We've also spent some time together hiking a viewing the wild flower shows around this area.
From 20080706


Yesterday I just explored a new area on the Tucannon River side of the hill (after I climbed over the top that is) to find new areas to ride and just to see what existed out there.
From 20080708

From 20080708


To say the least I was not dissappointed in anything except the desire for more daylight and time to ride a few new areas I seem to have found, but it will be waiting for me another day.
From 20080708


From 20080708


From 20080708

No comments: