Monday, February 15, 2010

Mud-Yuk

Well I thought I could sneak in a Couse Creek-Weissenfels Ridge Rd loop without much difficulty today...bad idea. I found that the end of Weissenfels was a tad boggy in some rather long sections (the worst I've ever seen it up there) and turning around at this point would make for a very, very long ride, which I had no desire to do.


So my bull-headed ego took over and from that point on it was make through or die trying. At times I thought I was doomed to walking, but I kept the speed up (which really makes the mud fly a long ways...cool), kept my mouth shut (gets kind of gritty if you don't) and forced the forward progress slipping and sliding all the way. The end result was a face and bike full of mud-yuk, plus I had the classic diarrhea butt look on my tights. The Think Pink bike was lookin' more like Downtown Brown.


I was very thankful for the SS since mud has very little effect on the one-gear system...a derailleur and multi-gears on the other hand is a nightmare in the muck-yuk stuff.


Also kind of glad I didn't take Rocket Ship One (the Fisher SuperFly SS) today...my old wheelset on it at this time has a minor wheel bearing issue and I wasn't willing to trust it too far away from home. I just build some new wheels for it, but haven't got the tubeless set up yet.


The name, Rocket Ship One, came about after a few rides just because this thing is way fast on the dirt...


...and I had the brakes on!

No comments: