Monday, April 24, 2006

Embrace the Wind!

While some whimper, whine, and snivel about riding into headwinds I typically embrace it. I have found a few others out there that are as odd as I am. For example there's one insane Iowa boy, Jeff Kerkove (that's Mr. 24 to you) who thinks it's a fun time to time trial for 70 miles or more into the wind - talk about ouch! He's not the only Iowa nut that rides into the wind for a fun training session - did you see Iowan Jason McCartney (Team Discovery) smokin the field in the recent Tour de Georgia? He commented that wind training in Iowa is good.

Just to show my love for Washington wind on Saturday I did a 60-mile sprint ride (that means fast and often painful) with 30 miles of it into a 15mph head wind (that means even more painful if you want to do it fast - uh what does slow mean again?) and the ending 30 into crossing headwinds. The hard part is finding distraction from the pain while maintaining good pedaling technique - hmmm

Whoa where did that distracting image come from? How about something bike related...

Stupid car just about hit me...Grrr!!!

Think happy thoughts (and I will fly)....

Nice! (The "Twisted Shifters" - my buddies from last year's 24-hr race - Thanks guys!) Now how about some motivating happy thoughts....


Yeah, baby now that's what I'm talking about...the spoils of fitness...

60 miles later in 2hr 50min...what wind? The next day the Dos Niner ran a 42 mile sprint ride on the local backroads into more "training" winds. Embrace the winds with a smile.

No comments: